Astronomer Activity Badge
- Show what you know about the night sky and why the pattern of stars changes, night by night, throughout the year.
- Learn the meaning of the terms celestial, equator, poles, circumpolar and zodiac.
- Observe three constellations on a clear night and record what you saw.
- Learn how to identify a satellite. How do you tell it apart from an aeroplane, star, planet or a meteor? Then complete these activities:
- Identify a satellite to observe
- Choose a clear night and use a clock and a compass to help you observe the satellite
- Plan an evening with your group and teach others how to observe the satellite.
This badge can be achieved by taking part in our ‘Snooze at the Zoo’
Astronomer Activity Badge Itinerary at Dartmoor Zoo
17:00 – Arrival, Introduction to the Zoo
17:30 – Zoo tour
18:30 – Dinner
19:30 – Night time Zoo Trail
20:00 – Campfire and marshmallows
20:45 – Set up Camp
21:00 – Stargazing – identifying constellations and observing the moon
22:00 – Bed Time
07:00 – Pack up
08:00 – Breakfast
09:00 – Learning about patterns of stars and recapping key words
10:00 – Close Encounters
This itinerary is an example of the sessions we provide, feel free to choose another activity from the list to put into the itinerary for your day.