Survival Skills Activity Badge
- Demonstrate different techniques to light a fire.
- Show how to build several different types of fire.
- Learn to identify and source local, edible plants and fruit and the risks involved in eating those incorrectly identified.
- Make an item of equipment that will be of use to you on a survival exercise.
- Demonstrate methods of filtering and purifying water.
Survival Skills Activity Badge Itinerary at Dartmoor Zoo
10:00 – Arrival, Introduction to the Zoo
10:30 – Zoo tour
11:30 – Set up camp, main lighting competition
11:45 – Fire lighting competition
12:00 – Water collection methods and pH testing
12:30 – Lunch
13:30 – Buddy burner making
14:00 – Edible and non-edible plant workshop
14:30 – Nettle tea making/marshmallow toasting
15:00 – End of day
This itinerary is an example of the sessions we provide, feel free to choose another activity from the list to put into the itinerary for your day.
For booking details or enquiries please contact the education team here.