Forester Activity Badge
- Identify at least eight common types of tree that grow in your area, including both deciduous and coniferous.
- Find out how to identify trees using identification keys.
- Prepare the soil and successfully transplant a young tree.
- Find out how both natural woodland and commercial forests are managed. Be aware of the damage these areas may be exposed to from wind, frost, fire and animals.
- Show how to select, use and care for forestry equipment, and know the safety issues involved.
- Show how to fell and trim out a tree or lay a hedge.
Forester Activity Badge Itinerary at Dartmoor Zoo
10:00 – Arrival, Introduction to the Zoo
10:30 – Zoo tour with focus on identification of trees
11:30 – Nature trail
12:00 – Bug house making and placing
12:30 – Lunch
13:30 – Bark rubbing from trees identified on tour
13:45 – Preparing the soil and planting trees around the Zoo
14:30 – Close encounters with Minibeasts
15:00 – End of day
This itinerary is an example of the sessions we provide, feel free to choose another activity from the list to put into the itinerary for your day.
For booking details or enquiries please contact the education team here.