Traditions of Guiding
- Tie a reef knot and a packer’s knot. Demonstrate their use on bedding or parcel roll.
- Lay or follow a trail using woodcraft signs.
- Strike a match correctly and light a candle.
- Whip the end of a rope to stop it fraying.
- Do an activity that shows a camping skill; e.g. pitch and strike a tent, make a gadget, light a fire.
- Explain and, where possible, demonstrate how to turf before lighting a fire.
- Make and use a buddy burner.
- At a campfire, prepare and cook dampers.
Traditions of Guiding Itinerary at Dartmoor Zoo
10:00 – Arrival, Introduction to the Zoo
10:30 – Zoo tour
11:30 – Head to base. Fire lighting competition incl. lighting candles with matches
12:00 – Knot tying and rope whipping
12:30 – Lunch
13:30 – Main fire lighting with explanation on how to turf before lighting
13:45 – Buddy burner making
14:15 – Nettle tea making/marshmallow toasting
15:00 – End of day
This itinerary is an example of the sessions we provide, feel free to choose another activity from the list to put into the itinerary for your day.
For booking details or enquiries please contact the education team here.