Naturalist Activity Badge
- With appropriate permission, spend at least one day at one of these locations and investigate the wildlife and plants found there:
- Tell a knowledgeable adult what you discovered. Show them your field notes, sketches, photographs or maps.
- Find out more about a plant, animal or particular wildlife from your chosen location.
- Discuss what you found out, giving sources for information from places like museums, field guides or the internet.
- Discuss how human activities or land management can affect wildlife.
- woodland or parkland
- down land
- moor land
- seashore or sand dune
- roadside verge
- stream, river or canal
- small pond
- wetland or marshland.
Naturalist Activity Badge Itinerary at Dartmoor Zoo
10:00 – Arrival, Introduction to the Zoo
10:30 – Zoo tour with focus on identification of wildlife
11:30 – Wildlife Identification session with talks on human impact
12:30 – Lunch
13:30 – Pond dipping and identification of species
14:30 – Close encounters with Minibeasts
15:00 – End of day
This itinerary is an example of the sessions we provide, feel free to choose another activity from the list to put into the itinerary for your day.