- SPRING - With an adult you know, make a nest box or bird feeder. With permission, hang it in a suitable place.
- SUMMER - Watch butterflies, bees and other insects on a flowering plant or bush. Know what they are doing and why. Taste three different types of honey and decide which your favourite is.
- AUTUMN - Make a scrapbook or poster about animals that hibernate in the UK and around the world. You can use photos and drawings as well as information.
- With an adult you know, spend time looking at the stars and point out at least two constellations.
- Either use fallen natural objects, like conkers, acorns or leaves to make a collage or decoration. Or make a picture from bark or stone rubbing.
- WINTER - Make bird pudding and leave it out somewhere safe for birds to eat. Keep a record for at least two weeks of all the birds that eat the food.
- Grow a bulb, such as a hyacinth, in a clear container or water so you can see its roots grow.
Seasons Badge Itinerary at Dartmoor Zoo
10:00 – Arrival, Introduction to the Zoo
10:30 – Zoo tour
11:30 – Bird feeder/Bug house building and placing
12:30 – Lunch
13:30 – Bark rubbing
13:45 – Bulb growing in clear containers
14:30 – Bird pudding making, learning about which birds are found here at DZP
15:00 – End of day
This badge also fits with our ‘Snooze at the Zoo’ Itinerary, where the girls will get the opportunity to Stargaze.
This itinerary is an example of the sessions we provide, feel free to choose another activity from the list to put into the itinerary for your day.
For booking details or enquiries please contact the education team here.