Survival Skills Activity Badge
- Show that you know:
- Put together a personal survival kit.
- With a group of at least three Scouts, take part in a survival exercise. It should last about 24 hours and the group should:
- How to construct different kinds of shelter
- How to build a fire and use basic lighting techniques. You should not use man-made materials such as paper or firelighters.
- The various burning qualities of different woods
- construct a shelter of natural or salvaged materials and sleep in it
- prepare a meal using raw ingredients that could have been found or caught
- cook all meals over an open fire
- cook without utensils, although you may use a knife.
The 24 hour aspect of this badge can be achieved by taking part in our ‘Snooze at the Zoo’
Survival Skills Activity Badge Itinerary at Dartmoor Zoo
10:00 – Arrival, Introduction to the Zoo
10:30 – Zoo tour
11:30 – Set up camp, fire lighting competition
12:00 – Shelter site decision and shelter making
12:30 – Lunch
13:30 – Main fire lighting
13:45 – Survival Kit discussion
14:00 – Edible and non-edible plant workshop
14:30 – Nettle tea making/marshmallow toasting
15:00 – End of day
This itinerary is an example of the sessions we provide, feel free to choose another activity from the list to put into the itinerary for your day.
For booking details or enquiries please contact the education team here.