Conservation, Education and a Great Day Out!
Join us for a fun packed, animal filled day, on the edge of one of the UK’s most beautiful landscapes. Hidden on the borders of Dartmoor National Park, Dartmoor Zoo boasts a wonderful 33 acres of woodland, celebrating a wide range of exotic and native animals, including the biggest variety of Big Cats in the South West of England. From Tigers to Tortoises, you’re bound to find some of your favourites, and with our unique enclosure designs you’ll feel closer to these beautiful animals than ever before.
The zoo is open 364 days a year, (closed Christmas Day). British Summer Time opening hours: 10am – 6pm, Winter Time: 10am – 4pm. Very occasionally the zoo may be closed due to extreme weather or other events, please check our website home page.
- Free parking
- Dedicated disabled parking at the top of the hill (please pay at the Ticket Kiosk first)
- Wonderful views of southern Dartmoor National Park and the South Hams Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
- Open-fronted cat enclosures for perfect viewing and photos of our amazing predators
- Jaguar Restaurant serving street food to go, pizzas, paninis. And treats! (If you fancy eating later just ask our team what time last food orders are on the day)
- Gift shop (all proceeds go directly to the Dartmoor Zoological Society charity)
- Large picnic area surrounded by Big Cats! Ice creams and coffees at the Kiosk
- Upcycled materials kids’ play area
- Baby changing in our unisex disabled toilets (at the Jaguar Restaurant)
- Electric mobility scooters for hire.
- Lots of animal talks, every day
- Please note that while nearly all of the zoo is accessible to wheelchairs and buggies, it is quite rugged and some of our paths are challenging. Caution should be exercised, and our team is ready to help when you need: just ask. High heels are inadvisable!
If you are arriving from the A38, take the Deep Lane turn off signed for Plympton, follow the signs for ‘Wildlife Park’ from the roundabout at Chaddlewood. This will take you past Langage Business Park to Sparkwell village which we are just on the far side of.
If you are arriving from Plympton, continue on the B3416 towards the Chaddlewood roundabout, then continue straight on towards Sparkwell village.
Once you get to Sparkwell, drive through the village and you’ll find us approximately 300 yards on.
For Sat Navs: PL7 5DG
Bus services are usually reliable. Timetables are available here. Please note that the type of bus used by Target Travel for this route is the small type with a small staircase up to the driver. Parents travelling on their own may find it difficult to get their push chair onto the bus without help.
Route 59 operates from Monday to Saturday (excluding Bank Holidays). There is no service on Sundays and bank holidays. The 59 leaves Royal Parade (stop A8) in Plymouth City Centre, takes around 30 minutes and stops at our main gate.
We also advise that you arrive at the gate at least five minutes early for your return journey. From time to time the service will run slightly ahead of schedule, pass the gate and then wait in Sparkwell village.
There is ample free parking adjacent to the main entrance. Disabled parking facilities are available outside the Jaguar Restaurant at the top of the drive. Should you wish to make use of disabled parking, please first pay at the main gate before proceeding to the top of the drive.
Times & Prices
British Summer Time opening hours: 10am – 6pm, Winter Time: 10am – 4pm. Very occasionally the zoo may be closed due to extreme weather or other events,
please check our website homepage.
|Ticket Type||Gift Aid*||Without Donation|
|Concession (OAPs, Students, Disabled)||£11.95||£10.85|
|Child (4 to 15yrs)||£9.85||£8.95|
|Child Concession (Disabled)||£8.95||£7.95|
|3 and under||Free!||Free!|
|Family (4 persons, max 2 adults)||£42.00||£38.00|
*Prices include an optional 10% Gift Aid donation – Scroll down for information on how Gift Aid works. For entry, under 16’s must be accompanied by an adult.
You can find details of DZP Membership here. Available to buy online, over the phone, or on site when you visit.
Gift Aid, how does it work?
Dartmoor Zoological Park is run by Dartmoor Zoological Society. DZS is a charity devoted to the conservation of endangered species and their habitats. All tickets include an optional donation of 10% which helps us to run various conservation and research projects here and abroad and by choosing to make this donation you really help us.
The government supports charities like us with a scheme called Gift Aid. This allows us to claim back the tax on your donation.
This won’t cost you anything extra, but means a lot to us.
If you are a UK taxpayer, we can claim an extra 25p for every £1 you donate, giving us more money to help with our conservation and research work.
Thank you for supporting us by being a Gift Aid visitor.
- Gift Aid donations can only be made by UK taxpayers and their families.
- You must pay an amount of UK income tax and/or capital gains tax for the current tax year (6 April to 5 April) that is at least equal to the amount of tax reclaimed on your gift donations to all the charities and Community Amateur Sports Clubs (CASCs) for that tax year (currently 25p for every £1 given). Other taxes such as VAT & Council Tax do not qualify.
- Once you have agreed to gift aid your donation, we will simply reclaim the tax you have already paid on your donation to Dartmoor Zoo from HMRC.
- The information you give will remain confidential and will not be passed to any organisation other than HM Revenue & Customs.
Tax claimed by the charity:
- The charity will reclaim 25p of tax from HMRC on every £1 you give.
- If you pay income tax at the higher rate, you must include all your Gift Aid donations on your Self Assessment tax return if you want to receive the additional tax relief due to you.
Accepted methods of payment:
We accept Visa, Visa Debit, Visa Electron, Mastercard, Maestro and Solo.
Wet & Wild HALF PRICE ENTRY offer
National Marine Aquarium (the “Wet” bit!) and Dartmoor Zoo (the “Wild” bit!) have partnered up to give you a superb deal.
Simply take your entrance receipt from one conservation attraction and present it within 15 days of your visit to the other attraction and you will get in for half price. Not valid in conjunction with any other offer.
Please note that when claiming discount on admission to DZP, this offer relates to a single daily admission to the National Marine Aquarium. If you take their ‘Annual Pass’ option, this entitles you to ONE discounted admission to DZP on the above terms.
Residents of Sparkwell
Entrance to the zoo is free for all permanent residents of Sparkwell village. Please bring both proof of address and proof of identity that you are a genuine resident. Accepted forms of proof of address are: bank statement, utility bill, council tax bill. Accepted forms of proof of identity are: driving licence, passport, forces I.D. card.
Armed Forces and Emergency Services
We are proud to support the people of the Forces and the Emergency Services and would like to offer them a 20% discount. Please bring with you your Forces ID or Blue Light Service Card as proof of identification.