Please see below the current vacancies that we have available at Dartmoor Zoo. You can also follow us on Facebook where we post our vacant positions.
Dartmoor Zoo are looking to employ a Keeper within the Animal Department. The successful individual will have relevant experience, good communication skills and a passion for all aspects of animal husbandry.
Set in 33 acres of beautiful woodland with some stunning views of the surrounding countryside and a fantastic collection of animals, Dartmoor Zoo is a unique family day out in the beautiful South Hams of Devon. Our animal collection includes tigers, lions, zebra, gelada, lynx, cheetah, wolves, tapir, capybara, meerkats, a fantastic collection of invertebrates and reptiles and much more.
There has never been a more exciting time to join our dedicated team; with multiple new species having arrived in the last few months and more set to join us later in the year. The zoo has many future development projects planned.
In this role you will work closely with our enthusiastic keepers to provide high standards of animal care for all mammal and bird species, incorporating the latest advances in husbandry. You will be accountable to the Curator and Senior Keepers and work alongside other keepers to assist in overseeing Entry-Level Keepers, placement students and volunteers. Previous supervisory experience and a genuine interest in helping to train the next generation of zookeepers would be advantageous.
You will be a good team worker, able to motivate others, as well as show initiative and have a positive outlook. You will work regularly on all rounds and play an integral role in training and enrichment, in addition to maintaining animal enclosures. For full details, please see the role description.
The successful candidate will:
· be enthusiastic and hardworking
· have a minimum of three years full-time employed experience within an animal department of a zoo
· ideally have the DMZAA (or ANCMZA) or BSc (Hons) Zoology or related subject
· have a keen eye for detail and a good awareness of health and safety requirements
· gain knowledge of biology, ecology and captive requirements of animal species
· be able to work in extreme outdoor weather conditions
· have experience with a variety of species including large category one land mammals
· be computer literate and able to carry out daily record keeping (previous use of ZIMS desirable)
· have good verbal and written communication skills
· be able to work within a department team, both as a team player and using one’s own initiative
· have good organisational and time management skills
· be available to work on weekends, bank holidays and special events when required
Dartmoor Zoo offer a competitive salary and holiday package. Two fixed days off per week.
Please complete the application form and e-mail to email@example.com or Miss Hannah Webb, Acting Curator, Dartmoor Zoological Park, Sparkwell, Plymouth. PL7 5DG by Friday 14th August. Only those shortlisted for interview will be contacted, and interviews will take place soon after.
Cleaner (part-time) – Immediate Start
We’re seeking exceptional self-employed cleaners required for the cleaning of offices, restaurant areas and other key sections around the park.
You will possess a keen eye for detail and be able to deliver high standards, to clean important areas of the zoo which helps create a safer environment for our visitors. You must be reliable and willing to work, either on your own, or as part of a small team.
To keep you safe, we have gloves, hand sanitiser and face masks available for your use.
- Hours: Flexible schedule over 7 days, 21 hours shared per week
- Start date: 17 August 2020
- Salary: up to £8.72 per hour
- Closing Date: Friday 31 July 2020
- Number of positions available: 2
Please send your CV and cover letter to Zoobase@dartmoorzoo.co.uk