Dartmoor Zoo are looking to employ a Keeper within the Animal Department. The successful individual will have relevant experience, good communication skills and a passion for all aspects of animal husbandry.
Set in 33 acres of beautiful woodland with some stunning views of the surrounding countryside and a fantastic collection of animals, Dartmoor Zoo is a unique family day out in the beautiful South Hams of Devon. Our animal collection includes tigers, lions, zebra, gelada, lynx, cheetah, wolves, tapir, ostrich, capybara, owls, meerkats, and a fantastic collection of invertebrates and reptiles.
In the past 18 months, several new bird species have been added, including cranes and rollers; we have plans to further increase this collection over the next 2 years. There has never been a more exciting time to join our dedicated team. The zoo has many future development projects planned.
In this role you will work closely with our enthusiastic keepers to provide high standards of animal care for all mammal and bird species, incorporating the latest advances in husbandry. You will be accountable to the Curator and Senior Keepers and work alongside other Keepers to assist in overseeing Entry-Level Keepers, placement students and volunteers. Previous supervisory experience and a genuine interest in helping to train the next generation of zookeepers would be advantageous.
You will be a good team worker, able to motivate others, as well as show initiative and have a positive outlook. You will work regularly on all rounds and play an integral role in training and enrichment, in addition to maintaining animal enclosures. For full details, please see the full Job Description here.
The successful candidate will:
• be enthusiastic and hardworking
• have a minimum of two years full-time employed experience within an animal department of a zoo
• ideally have the DMZAA (or ANCMZA) or BSc (Hons) Zoology or related subject
• have a keen eye for detail and a good awareness of health and safety requirements
• gain knowledge of biology, ecology and captive requirements of both mammal and bird species
• have previous experience with a variety of species including birds
• be able to work in extreme outdoor weather conditions
• be computer literate and able to carry out daily record keeping (previous use of ZIMS desirable)
• have good verbal and written communication skills
• be able to work within a department team, both as a team player and using your own initiative
• have good organisational and time management skills
• be available to work on weekends, bank holidays and special events when required
Dartmoor Zoo offers a competitive salary and holiday package.
This role is a permanent fulltime position.
by Monday 1st March.
Dartmoor Zoo is proud to support young people and will be offering a range of placements through the government’s Kickstart Scheme.
More information on job descriptions and how to apply will appear shortly. Do NOT try and apply until this information is released.
These will include:
- Entry Level Animal Keeper
- Education Assistant
- Finance Assistance
- Restaurant and Events Assistant
- Maintenance Assistant
Closing deadline 31st March 2021.
Follow us on Facebook where we post all our vacant positions.