What makes us an exciting destination for families in Devon. Nestled in the heart of Devon, Dartmoor Zoo is a family-friendly attraction that offers a unique blend of education, conservation, and fun. With a vast array of animals and a variety of interactive experiences, it’s a destination that promises an unforgettable day out for families. Here’s what makes Dartmoor Zoo stand out:
What Makes us an Exciting Destination for Families in Devon
A Diverse Array of Animals
Dartmoor Zoo is home to a vast array of animals, including mammals, birds, reptiles, invertebrates, and amphibians. From the majestic African Lion, whose roar can be heard from five miles away, to the delicate tarantulas, the zoo offers a chance to see and learn about a diverse range of species. Each exhibit is designed to be engaging and educational, making it a fun learning experience for children and adults alike.
Unique Animal Encounters
One of the highlights of a visit to Dartmoor Zoo is the opportunity to get up close and personal with some of the most popular animals. The zoo offers a range of animal experiences, including:
- Meet the Tiger (8yrs+): During this unique experience, you’ll meet Dragan, the male tiger. Book here
- Feed the Otters: Have a unique experience feeding the otter family. Book here
- Big Cat Keeper for a Day: Work with the expert big cat team. Book here
- Keeper for a Day: Work alongside the expert zoo keeping team caring for a wide variety of species. Book here
- Junior Keeper for a Day: A day for the younger enthusiasts working alongside the zoo keepers. Book here
- Walk on the Wild Side: Meet some of the most popular characters, big and small, of Dartmoor Zoo. Book here
- The VIP ‘We Bought a Zoo’ Tour: Learn about the history of Dartmoor Zoo. Book here
- Meet the Meerkats: Enter the meerkat enclosure and meet these lively creatures. Book here
- Feed the Meerkats: Feed the lively meerkats. Book here
- Rangers Academy (age 13 to 18): A full week packed with practical activities, lectures, and animal encounters. Book here
- Rangers (age 6 to 12): A fully interactive, three-day workshop with animal encounters and activities designed for kids. Book here
These experiences provide a unique insight into the lives of these incredible creatures and are sure to be a hit with the whole family.
A Commitment to Conservation
Dartmoor Zoo is not just a place to see animals; it’s also a place to learn about conservation. The zoo is involved in various conservation projects and is part of the European Endangered Species Programme. By visiting Dartmoor Zoo, families can learn about the importance of conservation and how they can contribute to these efforts.
A Beautiful Setting
Located on the edge of Dartmoor National Park, Dartmoor Zoo offers a beautiful setting for a family day out. The 33 acres of woodland and parkland provide a picturesque backdrop for your adventure, making it a truly immersive experience.
A Rich History
Dartmoor Zoo has a rich history that adds to its charm. Opened in 1968 by Ellis Daw, the zoo was bought by Benjamin Mee in 2006, who reopened it in 2007. This journey was documented in Mee’s book “We Bought a Zoo” and later adapted into a film of the same name. The zoo’s story of resilience and transformation adds a layer of depth to your visit, making it more than just a day out.
After taking on the zoo in 2006 and opening in 2007, the Mee family kindly donated Dartmoor Zoological Park to ‘Dartmoor Zoological Society’ in 2014, a charity specially created for the purpose and registered with the Charity Commission for England and Wales under registration number 1158422.
The charity is responsible for the care of the animal collection as well as our conservation, breeding and research projects. Therefore, whilst we are still the beloved home of the, ‘We Bought a Zoo’ story, a new story led by the charity is developing.
In conclusion, Dartmoor Zoo offers a unique blend of fun, education, and conservation, making it an exciting destination for families. With its rich history, diverse animal exhibits, and engaging experiences, it’s no wonder that Dartmoor Zoo is considered one of the best family-friendly attractions in Devon.
For more information about Dartmoor Zoo and to book your visit, check out their website. Experience the thrill of wildlife and create unforgettable memories with your family at Dartmoor Zoo!