Dartmoor Zoo, located in the heart of Devon, is not just a zoo. It’s a family-friendly adventure, a learning experience, and a chance to get up close and personal with various animals. Here’s what makes Dartmoor Zoo an exciting destination for families:
A Variety of Animal Encounters
Dartmoor Zoo offers a range of animal encounters that provide a unique insight into the lives of these incredible creatures. These experiences are sure to be a hit with the whole family. Please note that some experiences are 18+, so read the T&Cs before booking. Here are some of the encounters you can book:
- Meet the Tiger: During this unique experience, you’ll meet Dragan, the male tiger.
- Feed the Otters: Have a unique experience feeding the otter family.
- Big Cat Keeper for a Day: Work with the expert big cat team.
- Keeper for a Day: Work alongside the expert zoo-keeping team, caring for a wide variety of species.
- Junior Keeper for a Day: A day for the younger enthusiasts working alongside the zoo keepers.
- Walk on the Wild Side: Meet some of the most popular characters, big and small, of Dartmoor Zoo.
- The VIP ‘We Bought a Zoo’ Tour: Learn about the history of Dartmoor Zoo.
- Meet the Meerkats: Enter the meerkat enclosure and meet these lively creatures.
- Feed the Meerkats: Feed the lively meerkats.
- Rangers Academy (age 13 to 18): A full week packed with practical activities, lectures, and animal encounters.
- Rangers (age 6 to 12): A fully interactive, three-day workshop with animal encounters and activities designed for kids.
Unique History and Commitment to Conservation
Dartmoor Zoo has a unique history. Created in the 1960s as a private exotic animal collection, the zoo fell into disrepair and was threatened with closure in 2006. Benjamin Mee and his family bought the site and created the zoo we know and love today. His story is portrayed in his best-selling book ‘We Bought a Zoo’, which was also turned into a hit movie. After nine years in private ownership, during which Benjamin developed the collection, rebuilt the reputation of the Zoo, and launched the Education and Research Department, he and his family donated the Zoo to a newly created charity, Dartmoor Zoological Society (DZS). DZS is now operated by a dedicated team of specialists that report to the trustees who are responsible for running and developing the DZS.
A Fun and Educational Experience
A visit to Dartmoor Zoo is not just about fun; it’s also an educational experience. The zoo’s commitment to education is evident in its range of experiences and workshops designed for children of all ages. There’s truly something for every young animal enthusiast!
In conclusion, Dartmoor Zoo offers an exciting blend of fun, education, and unique animal encounters, making it a must-visit destination for families. So why wait? Book your tickets now and embark on an unforgettable adventure at Dartmoor Zoo!”