Conservation, Education and a Great Day Out!
Join us for a fun packed, animal filled day, on the edge of one of the UK’s most beautiful landscapes. Hidden on the borders of Dartmoor National Park, Dartmoor Zoo boasts a wonderful 33 acres of woodland, celebrating a wide range of exotic and native animals, including the biggest variety of Big Cats in the South West of England. From Tigers to Tortoises, you’re bound to find some of your favourites, and with our unique enclosure designs you’ll feel closer to these beautiful animals than ever before.
The zoo is open 364 days a year, (closed Christmas Day). Summer Time opening hours: 10am – 6pm (from Saturday 30th March 2019), Winter Time starting October 26th 2019: 10am – 4pm. Last entry 1 hour 15 minutes before closing. Very occasionally the zoo may be closed due to extreme weather or other events, please check our website home page.
Dining at Dartmoor Zoo
Visit the Jaguar Restaurant where there’s a little something for everyone…
Mid-morning, pop in for a steaming hot cup of coffee and delicious slice of cake.
Join us for lunch with a selection of freshly made sandwiches from the lovely people of ‘Lunch’ in Ivybridge or a freshly baked hot pasty from our friends at ‘Denzils Pasties’ of Plymouth.
Our specials menu changes daily but can include a variety of options from quiches to curries. *Please note we cater for any dietary needs, and can change most menu food items to cater to your specific requirements.
Grab and go with a Jungle Lunchbox for the children including your choice of ham or cheese roll, mini cheese, Pom Bears, a Jelly squeeze, a chocolate frog & a bottle of water.
- Free parking
- Dedicated disabled parking at the top of the hill (please pay at the Ticket Kiosk first)
- Wonderful views of southern Dartmoor National Park and the South Hams Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
- Open-fronted cat enclosures for perfect viewing and photos of our amazing predators
- Gift shop (all proceeds go directly to the Dartmoor Zoological Society charity)
- Large picnic area surrounded by Big Cats! Ice creams and coffees at the Kiosk
- Upcycled materials kids’ play area
- Baby changing in our unisex disabled toilets (at the Jaguar Restaurant)
- Electric mobility scooter and wheelchairs for hire.
- Lots of animal talks, every day
- Please note that while nearly all of the zoo is accessible to wheelchairs and buggies, it is quite rugged and some of our paths are challenging. Caution should be exercised, and our team is ready to help when you need: just ask. High heels are inadvisable!
If you are arriving from the A38, take the Deep Lane turn off signed for Plympton, follow the signs for ‘Wildlife Park’ from the roundabout at Chaddlewood. This will take you past Langage Business Park to Sparkwell village which we are just on the far side of.
If you are arriving from Plympton, continue on the B3416 towards the Chaddlewood roundabout, then continue straight on towards Sparkwell village.
Once you get to Sparkwell, drive through the village and you’ll find us approximately 300 yards on.
For Sat Navs: PL7 5DG
Bus services are usually reliable. Timetables are available here. The 59 Service is a Low Floor Access service bus making transport easier for Prams and Wheelchair Users.
Route 59 operates from Monday to Saturday (excluding Bank Holidays). There is no service on Sundays and bank holidays. The 59 leaves Royal Parade (stop A13) in Plymouth City Centre, takes around 30 minutes and stops at our main gate.
Or Try the George Park & Ride.
Catch the 09:30 Bus to Dartmoor Zoo. Then return on either the 14:35 or 18.05 Bus back to the George Park & Ride.
We also advise that you arrive at the gate at least five minutes early for your return journey. From time to time the service will run slightly ahead of schedule, pass the gate and then wait in Sparkwell village.
There is ample free parking adjacent to the main entrance. Disabled parking facilities are available outside the Jaguar Restaurant at the top of the drive. Should you wish to make use of disabled parking, please first pay at the main gate before proceeding to the top of the drive.
Times & Prices
British Summer Time opening hours: 10am – 5pm, Summer school holidays: 10am – 6pm, Winter Time: 10am – 4pm.
Last entry is 1 hour before closing time.
Very occasionally the zoo may be closed due to extreme weather or other events,
please check our website homepage or follow us on Facebook.
|Ticket Type||Gift Aid*||Without Donation|
|Concession (OAPs, Students, Disabled)||£13.15||£11.95|
|Child (3 to 15yrs)||£10.95||£9.95|
|Child Concession (Disabled)||£8.95||£7.95|
|Carer for Disabled Guest Admission||Free!||Free!|
|2 and under||Free!||Free!|
|Family (4 persons, max 2 adults)||£48.35||£43.95|
Discounts available for groups of 15 or more.
*Prices include an optional 10% Gift Aid donation – Scroll down for information on how Gift Aid works. For entry, under 16’s must be accompanied by an adult.
Why not buy a Membership and visit Dartmoor Zoo whenever you like for a full 12 months?
Available to buy online, over the phone (01752 837645), or in the Zoo when you visit.
If you decide during your visit you want to become a member, your admission cost that day will be deducted from your membership fee. Please see a member of the Jaguar restaurant team to apply.
Gift Aid, how does it work?
Dartmoor Zoological Park is run by Dartmoor Zoological Society, a charity devoted to the conservation of endangered species and their habitats. All tickets include a voluntary donation of 10% which helps us to run various conservation and research projects and by choosing to make this donation you really help us.
The government supports charities like us with a scheme called Gift Aid. This allows us to claim back the tax on the whole amount paid, an extra 25%, which makes a significant difference.
|Amount paid by visitor||Tax refund from government||Total received by Dartmoor Zoological Society|
|Gift Aid admission||£11.00||£2.75||£13.75|
Thank you for supporting us by being a Gift Aid visitor.
- Gift Aid donations can only be made by UK taxpayers and their families.
- You must pay an amount of UK income tax and/or capital gains tax for the current tax year (6 April to 5 April) that is at least equal to the amount of tax reclaimed on your gift donations to all the charities and Community Amateur Sports Clubs (CASCs) for that tax year (currently 25p for every £1 given). Other taxes such as VAT & Council Tax do not qualify.
- Once you have agreed to gift aid your donation, we will simply reclaim the tax you have already paid on your donation to Dartmoor Zoo from HMRC.
- The information you give will remain confidential and will not be passed to any organisation other than HM Revenue & Customs.
Tax claimed by the charity:
- The charity will reclaim 25p of tax from HMRC on every £1 you paid, if you include a voluntary donation of at least 10%.
- If you pay income tax at the higher rate, you must include all your Gift Aid donations on your Self Assessment tax return if you want to receive the additional tax relief due to you.
Accepted methods of payment:
We accept Visa, Visa Debit, Visa Electron, Mastercard, Maestro and Solo.
Wet & Wild HALF PRICE ENTRY offer
National Marine Aquarium (the “Wet” bit!) and Dartmoor Zoo (the “Wild” bit!) have partnered up to give you a superb deal.
Simply take your entrance receipt from one conservation attraction and present it within 15 days of your visit to the other attraction and you will get in for half price. Not valid in conjunction with any other offer.
Please note that when claiming discount on admission to DZP, this offer relates to a single daily admission to the National Marine Aquarium. If you take their ‘Annual Pass’ option, this entitles you to ONE discounted admission to DZP on the above terms.
Residents of Sparkwell
Entrance to the zoo is free for all permanent residents of Sparkwell village. Please bring both proof of address and proof of identity that you are a genuine resident. Accepted forms of proof of address are: bank statement, utility bill, council tax bill. Accepted forms of proof of identity are: driving licence, passport, forces I.D. card.
Armed Forces and Emergency Services
We are proud to support the people of the Forces and the Emergency Services and would like to offer them a 20% discount. Please bring with you your Forces ID or Blue Light Service Card as proof of identification.
For lodging options in Plymouth, check with HotelsCombined.